The Cloisters, Newbury
Sector: Mental Health
- Berkshire NHS Trust had a continuing requirement for a 24 hour nursed care home for adults with enduring mental health needs.
- The first long-term stay home was completed by Montpelier in 2003 to accommodate patients leaving Fairmile Hospital. Unfortunately other patients had to be transferred to Prospect Park Hospital in an inappropriate setting.
- An extensive search for a site offering good access, tranquil setting and local services culminated with this site in Newbury, an ideal location for West Berkshire patients and their families.
- Montpelier, working in partnership with Priory, won planning approval on a departure of Policy due to the special needs of the patients.
- Permission was granted for a new 25 bed rehabilitation hospital.
- Construction was completed in April 2012 and the home is now operational.